Effective communication is the most basic skill of any lawyer. This Program will develop your written and oral communication skills, whether you are studying or already engaged in legal practice.
Enroll in this program now and learn to:
• Develop skills and techniques related to all of the main writing tasks that law students and legal professionals encounter;
• Draft contracts effectively and write persuasive pleadings, legal opinions, and memos;
• Improve writing, drafting, and speaking skills whilst also developing competency in areas such as persuasive writing;
• Develop advanced skills that will allow you to communicate more clearly, accurately, and successfully; and
• Make presentations, attend interviews, and conduct negotiations effectively.
Are you a:
• Law student eager to build a career in corporate law firms, in-house corporate teams, or litigation; or
• Practicing lawyer intent on enhancing your written and oral communication skills?
We recommend that you enroll in this Program now. We recommend that you enroll in the Legal Writing and Introduction to Drafting Programs as well, if you are not familiar with the basics of written legal communication.
Did You Know?
• That one of the most important things in an interview is not just what you say, but how you listen?
• That visual aids do not necessarily need to be used in all presentations?
• That lawyers can use persuasive techniques in both writing and speaking tasks?
Unit 1: Legal Writing as Persuasive Writing
• Learn the art of persuasion and techniques for developing and structuring a persuasive argument.
• Study how to identify and frame issues effectively.
Unit 2: Drafting Contracts
• Explore the fundamental aspects of successful contract drafting.
• Identify the essential elements required in all valid, legally-binding contracts.
Unit 3: Writing a Memo
• Master the use of a memo-format for writing up research and analyzing legal problems and issues.
• Develop important skills such as issue identification and summarizing.
Unit 4: Writing Pleadings
• Draft proper and effective pleadings by harnessing the format to your advantage.
• Study the accepted structure and content of pleadings.
Unit 5: Writing a Legal Opinion
• Learn the style and elements of a legal opinion.
• Develop your skills in both assessing a case and communicating with your clients and colleagues.
Unit 6: Fundamentals of Oral Communication
• Explore the different kinds of speaking that lawyers do.
• Study the importance of preparation and structure when speaking.
Unit 7: Oral Advocacy
• Learn the fundamental aspects of oral advocacy.
• Analyze the importance of acting ethically at all times, and how to build a solid professional reputation.
Unit 8: Making Presentations
• Study how to speak to a group, and make a presentation.
• Learn how to structure presentations, successfully engage the audience, and use visual aids.
Unit 9: Attending and Conducting Interviews
• Learn the ins and outs of interviews—as either the interviewer, or the interviewee.
• Learn to plan and think about the purpose of an interview before commencing.
• Study valuable interview techniques for both listening and questioning.
Unit 10: Conducting Negotiations
• Learn to determine when it’s suitable to negotiate, and how to prepare for an effective negotiation.
• Study how to conduct a negotiation, including the ethical considerations involved.