As you may already know, Mergers and Acquisitions (“M&A”) transactions are the backbone of most corporate legal transactions in India and around the world. This Program is an advanced and in-depth study of the law governing M&A in India.
Enroll in this Program now to specialize in Mergers and Acquisitions Law and learn to:
• Perceive the manner in which mergers and acquisitions are financed and understand the need for external commercial borrowings;
• Study relevant aspects of Competition Law, Insider Trading, and the Takeover Code as they apply to M&A transactions;
• Understand ‘due diligence’ exercises, the manner in which they are carried out, and their impact on drafting necessary legal documents;
• Identify the legal documentation involved in M&A transactions and the contents of such documents, and learn how they are drafted; and
• Examine how an M&A transaction is executed and study the different aspects to look at while advising your client on any M&A transaction.
Are you a:
• Law student eager to build a career in corporate law firms or in-house corporate legal advisory teams;
• Practicing lawyer intent on enhancing your knowledge of, and skills necessary for practicing in, Mergers and Acquisitions Laws; or
• Management or Finance student/professional keen on developing a deeper understanding of the legal and practical aspects of M&A transactions?
We recommend that you enroll in this Program now. We also recommend that you enroll in the Introduction to Mergers and Acquisitions Program, if you do not know have a basic knowledge of Mergers and Acquisitions Laws.
Did you know?
• That acquiring 50% of a listed company requires the acquirer to make a public offer?
• That combinations between holding and subsidiary companies are exempt from notification requirements under the Competition Act, 2002?
• That external commercial borrowings cannot be used for on-lending purposes?
Unit 1: Understanding Lending Transactions
• Study the different methods of financing mergers and acquisitions.
• Examine the role of lending transactions in mergers and acquisitions.
• Understand the regulatory regime governing lending by domestic and overseas banks.
Unit 2: Understanding Stamp Duty and Registration Laws
• Learn the law on stamp duty and registration in India and identify the events or documents on which stamp duty is levied.
• Understand the role of registration in M&A transactions and the nature of documents to be registered under the Registration Act, 1908.
Unit 3: Understanding Employment and Labor Law Issues
• Study the legal framework for employment and labor laws in India.
• Identify specific provisions of the Industrial Disputes Act, 1947 and Shops and Establishment Acts that apply to M&A transactions.
Unit 4: Understanding Mergers and Acquisitions: Competition Law Perspective
• Examine the need for competition laws in India.
• Analyze the impact of the Competition Act, 2002 and all the rules and regulations issued there under on M&A activity in India.
• Identify M&A transactions that require approval from the Competition Commission of India.
Unit 5: Understanding Mergers and Acquisitions: From a Listed Company’s Perspective
• Study two important regulations from the perspective of listed companies—the Takeover Code and the Insider Trading Regulations.
• Analyze these regulations from the perspective of M&A transactions.
Unit 6: Understanding the Due Diligence Process
• Understand what a ‘due diligence’ is and its importance in M&A transactions.
• Identify the parties involved in a due diligence process and key points or issues that must be identified in any due diligence.
Unit 7: Understanding Legal Documentation for Mergers and Acquisitions
• Examine the structure and content of documents required to implement mergers and acquisitions, including a merger or de-merger scheme, share purchase, share subscription or shareholders agreements, business purchase agreements, and asset transfer agreements.
Unit 8: Drafting of Legal Documentation - I
• Draft specific clauses in commercial agreements, such as the conditions precedent to completion clause, and the completion clause.
• Analyze the purpose of each of these clauses in M&A transactions.
Unit 9: Drafting of Legal Documentation - II
• Draft indemnification and representations & warranties clauses.
• Analyze the meaning of these clauses in commercial agreements and understand their role and importance in M&A transactions.